National Children’s Month
National Children’s Month is celebrated every October in the Philippines as mandated by Presidential Proclamation 267. The said proclamation, issued in 1993 by then president Fidel Ramos, follows Section 13, Article II of the Philippine Constitution which emphasizes the importance of the role of the child in the Filipino family.
Article II Section 13 of the 1987 Philippine Constitution states “The State recognizes the vital role of the youth in nation-building and shall promote and protect their physical, moral, spiritual, intellectual, and social well-being. It shall inculcate in the youth patriotism and nationalism, and encourage their involvement in public and civic affairs.” Thus, all government agencies and members of society are urged to provide opportunities for the youth to recognize their true potentials. Through this initiative, children may grow up to be active contributors to nation building.
Celebrations throughout the Philippines
The Council for Welfare of Children (CWC) leads the observance of the National Children’s Month every year. The said agency was specifically established to oversee the welfare and development of children in the country.
In 1994, Jaime L. Cardinal Sin, former Archbishop of Manila, issued a pastoral letter with reflections based on the Catholic church’s catechism regarding children as gifts.
On 29 October 1994, the Makati City Social Welfare Department held a Children’s Congress at the Makati City Hall. Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay delivered his first “State of the Children of Makati” address.
In 2007, the activities commemorating National Children’s month concentrated on the theme “Bright Child: Karapatan Nasa 'Yo, Isigaw sa Buong Mundo.” The National Statistics Office of Region 8 administered their Family Planning Survey during the month. Child health and under-five mortality were among the information disseminated through the said survey.
In 2008, the Department of Health through the Integrated Provincial Health Office of Siquijor conducted the “Garantisadong Pambata” program. Children from six months to six years old were given Vitamin A capsules and underwent routine immunization and deworming activities. The Nutrition Stakeholders Summit was held in San Jose, Antique as part of the National Children’s Month celebration this 2010. Measures to reduce the incidence of malnutrition among children were tackled in the conference.
- Article: National Children's Month; Bright Child: Karapatan nasa 'yo, isigaw sa buong mundo.(Opinion & Editorial). High Beam Research. Article from Manila Bulletin. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- The 1987 Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines. Chan RoblesVirtual Law Library. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- Pastoral Letter: “The Celebration of National Children’s Month (October 1994). (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- Children's Congress caps National Children's Month in Makati. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- Siquijor observes children's month. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- NSO 8 disseminates results of 2006 family planning survey. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)
- October is National Children's Month. (Accessed 16 October 2010.)